Thursday, September 16, 2010

Oxygen Anyone?

As you all know from a previous post I have become OBSESSED with podcasts.  I went from the girl who didn't even know how to plug my ipod into the computer to change music, to the girl who updates her ipod weekly. Side note: Think I approach much of life this way, if I find something I like I jump in with both feet.  So back to the podcasts.  My favorites are: Endurance Planet, The Marathon Show, The Stuff you Missed in History Class and The Parent Experiment.  Oh and Car Talk and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.  Really that is it.  I am going to have to branch out soon because I have now listened to every Endurance Planet I could download, all of the Car Talks available and all but one Marathon Show.  I know, you are thinking, Geeze woman get to the point. So...I was listening to The Parent Experiment and I had an ahhh haaa moment.  Then the next day I was listening to Endurance Planet and had another one.  So what were these moments? You ask.  Well lets see if I can manage to type out in some sort of coherent manner what I thought about while running.

On the Parent Experiment they had a guest on that was talking about how moms need to take some time for themselves or they can't be an effective mom.  The lady said (I am paraphrasing here) "listen on an airplane when they tell you to put your O2 mask on, they don't say put your kids on first, they say put yours on first and then your kids." Why because if you put theirs on first and don't get it done correctly before you pass out you are both goners whereas, if you put yours on first then, you will have the where with all to get their mask on correctly.  So in life if you want to take care of your kid the best you can you need to take care of you too.  Well here was my moment.  Running is my oxygen mask.  Oh I know all of you Running Moms already knew where I was going with this but, I am going to say it anyway.  Running makes me feel strong, alive, confident, it makes me feel like I am TARA.  I am me. When I am the best me I can be I am the best mom I can be too. 

Which brings me to the Endurance Planet.  They were interviewing this overweight fellow who said that he began training because one day he looked in the mirror and said to himself "this is not the life I want to live."  You know what I thought?  This is the life I want to live.  I am the happiest I have been in my entire life.  I don't want to jinx myself here so I am going to stop gushing.  But suffice it to say I am one happy girl and I know I am lucky but I also attribute my happiness to my taking care of myself and being married to someone who takes care of himself. 

I am not sure that running is a cure all for all of the problems of the world.  All I am saying is these shows made me reflect upon what running has given me.  I wish everyone could feel the rush of a good run, the freedom of a great trail run, the sensation after an awesome race.  I think the world would be a much happier place.  Running ROCKS.

That is all.  Happy Running Everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, very true. XOXO

Unknown said...

You know, I have to agree with you on EVERYTHING here. I do believe in taking care of me so that I can feel good about me, so I can feel strong, so that I can be a good role model for Bridget and Joe. I am loving the longer distances....I am so glad I am training for the 1/2 and hopefully, eventually a whole marathon. You are inspirational dear sis.

xoxo

P.S. I have my aquaphor on my wrinkles right at this very instant! LOL.

tara said...

LOL Reyna, hope you like it and you can't even imagine how happy it makes me you are thinking of a marathon and training for a half. Love you tons