Sunday, July 24, 2011

2wk Out Freak Out

Headlands 100 miler is in 2wks.  I have run hard, I have trained super hard.  I have found every hill withing 30 miles of my town and run up and down it.  Am I ready for this race? 


I don't have a clue.  Begin...Freak Out Mode.  Where I start hyper organizing everything because it is all I can control at this point.  I mean look at these elevation charts, they don't look good clockwise or counter clockwise and in the end it is over 17K of elevation gain total.  Holy Shit!  Did I just say 17K of elevation gain?  Can my quads do that?  Will I even be able to get back down once I get up on the last loop?  I am a little nervous.  I was way more nervous for the few days this week I thought I had to run this thing solo with no pacers.  Not to worry some folks have really come through and I will have a pacer for the worst part for sure.  Thank you Jimmi and Cathy.  You two are the BOMB DIGGITY!!!!!! Ok back to freak out.  This is where I start to worry if I trained enough or in this case too much.  What should my nutrition plan be?  Why didn't I get sick at the last race?  How do I repeat that?  What will I do without Marny cramming food down my throat when the last thing I want to do is eat? 

As you can see, I am nervous so, time to get to planning.  The goal for this race is to finish and under 24 if at all possible.  Ok under 24 or kill my quads trying, lol. I know I have to stay on top of my nutrition.  I have to make sure I am sucking down 200 calories an hour.  I need to make sure I am getting in ensure when I see the crew but am not going to carry it this time.  My plan is to go as light as possible and hope the crew can meet me often.  The other portion of my nutrition plan is sports chews (need to put those on the shopping list) and to eat normal food every time I get to an aid station.  I also think I need to take my vitamin drinks like the last race and well pray for the best.  I just bought gaiters, will try them out this week.  Apparently the sand is horrendous in spots.  I will take tons of gear because rumor has it it gets darn cold in SF this time of year.  Bottom line: I can do this, I know I can, I just have to believe in myself and stay on top of my nutrition and go super slow off the top.  You should hear me chanting: I think I can, I know I can, I know I can.......Oh crap this is going to hurt.

OMG! This is nuts.  Why do I do this?  And next year I need to do 4-5 races like this in a row if I want a chance at my dream race.  Oh me oh my.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!






No comments: