Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Power of Positve Words

So I was thinking the otherday about what and who inspires me. There are pleanty of people who have really impacted me along the way and I soon became lost in a sea of names and faces. One thing that I could sort out was that I really like a good positive saying. The first I remember of these positive messages was my HS Cross Country Team. I really loved that team. We were a tight knit crew and a few of the members even came back when they were on breaks from college to coach us. One was Todd Maycomber (I will talk about him in another post when I get to people who really inspired me and my running) the other guy I remember was Mike Najar. I just pulled out this little photo box I have that is stuffed full of positive notes I have recieved over the years. The box is full of letters and notes and sayings that make me smile. And in this box were 5 notes that Mike had made for our Cross Country Team. I think he did it before each race. He would find an inspirational message, type it up and make copies for the whole team. It really mattered to me that he did this. It wasn't just the messages it was also the gesture.

When I went to college I wasn't a good enough runner to make a team, no I didn't try but trust me I wasn't. I think sometimes it is good to be able to evaluate yourself honestly and this is one of those examples. So instead I joined the crew team. The crew team was my saving grace and the friends I made there have pulled me through more than just college. They are life long friends and people whom still to this day I look up to. During my first year of rowing we had secret buddies and we would make inspirational gifts for our secret buddy. I still have a bunch of those in my little box. A few even have hand done paintings on one side and awesome words of encouragement on the other. Somehow the power of a positive message stays with you forever. It can become a mantra. It can move you forward when all you want to do is stop. It can lift you up. Well I think I could go on and on but the whole point of this post was to list some of my favorite quotes and ask you to do the same.

Favorite Quotes:
1. If it is to be it is up to me ~ W. Johnsen
2. If you take your eyes off the goal all you will see are obstacles ~ unknown
3. Do not pretend that people become great by doing great things. They do great things because they are great. ~GB Shaw
4. The mind is the limit. We know that it is not the body. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it. ~ Schwarzennegger
5. Run when you can, Walk when you have to, crawl if you must, just never give up. ~ D. Karnazes
6.It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog ~unknown
7. Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you will land amoung the stars. ~Les Brown (I think but saw it with someone elses name as well)
8. Be the Architect of your future ~unknown (there are a ton of versions of this one out there)
9. You miss 100% of the shots you never take. ~Gretsky

Ok please send me your favorites.

3 comments:

cathycrisp said...

BE THE ACTION, DON'T WATCH THE ACTION.

Tracey Kite said...

Forget about the pace and enjoy the race!
That is my favorite one!

tara said...

Love these two ladies. Tracey think that might be my moto for the first half of the race and then I will have to take on Jenni's moto from last night: Eyes on the prize Tosta. Ha ha