Sunday, December 13, 2009

What Was I Thinking?

I have read plenty of ultra blogs now where the person runs back to back ultras and somehow their bodies are fine with it. They just go out and run 100 miles one weekend and hit the trails for another 50-100 the following weekend. I have no idea how you get to be that good. What I do know is that I am sitting here typing this and I am exhausted, not even sure my rock'in pink recovery socks can save my legs. And all I did was run 83.9 miles this week. I began my week with a 27.2 mile run which was ok but it was in the rain so it wasn't my most favorite run and so the week went, then came today, Sunday, The White Rock Marathon. Why did I sign up for this race a second time, why? Last time there wasn't food or water at the end and there wasn't this time either, last time parking was a pain and this time I had to ditch my car in downtown Dallas and run to the American Airlines Arena to make the start. So that was my morning I began my race stressed out about my car and getting to the starting line and then by mile oh lets be generous and say 5 I realized that the almost 60 miles I had already put in this week really had my legs tired. But, you know what I think this was a great training experience. My legs were super tired and I just had to keep on keepin on and I think that is what the 100 miles will feel like. I just got in my groove running about a 9:30 min. per mile pace and kept on going. The spectators were awesome. I am always in awe of just how many people turn out to cheer others on, it is really great. And well the Dolly Parton’s Hills aid station was once again my favorite, everyone needs a good laugh at mile 19.5 and if men dressed up like Dolly don't make you laugh nothing will. So I guess all in all it was a great training experience but if I say I am doing this race again would one of you please kick me. I think what it comes down to is I really like the smaller marathons where there are tons of local runners and everyone is social and just jogs along telling their story. I really miss that at these big races.

No comments: