Thursday, October 20, 2011

Crossfit

I haven't been on here much lately.  I have been running but, just haven't felt like writing about it.  I went to the Doctor after the last race and got an MRI of the foot.  Well...my sesamoid has chondramalacia.  SAY WHAT?  Yep, that little sucker got so pissed off about all the pounding it was taking that, it up and turned to moosh.  That might not be the technical explanation but, it is the reality.  In some cases if it is caught early this condition can be turned around.  Who here thinks the year I ran on it constitutes taking it easy and catching it early?  Yah, I suspect I hosed that sucker up good.  I now have orthodics to help relieve some of the pressure but most likely this isn't going to heal fast if at all.  So, I did what any normal runner would do.  I found something even more insane to do while I have downgraded my mileage.  I joined Crossfit.

Somehow I thought that my ability to run 100 miles meant I was in pretty good shape but Crossfit has made me see the light.  These workouts make me feel like a super wimp and totally exhausted.  I love it.  Well, I don't love getting my ass handed to me each day but, I do love pushing myself.  I also love seeing what these amazing women (my class is almost always only women).  There are little ladies in the class doing pull ups in a piked position, I kid you not, it is insane and phenomenal all at the same time.  I don't see me getting to the level I can do those I do see that already I am getting stronger and my trail running is reaping the benefits. 

This week I was running Pine Mtn to get to my crossfit workout and I basically bounded up the mountain, these workouts are totally making my climbing legs stronger.  I am keeping my mileage low for the winter (30-50 miles/wk) and am going to turn up the heat on some cross training.  Wooot wooot!  So, if you are looking for a super awesome workout I recommend trying a crossfit workout.  They are completely awesome. 

No comments: